Be a part of the International Permaculture Convergences, they are epic!
If you are interested to host one of the next IPC’s, for example the IPC16 in 2026 or 2027, please get in touch with us and have a look at the application form and get an idea of what would be expected from a future IPC-host.
Factors to consider to host IPC16
There has not been a very consistent pattern, but we are willing to establish a pattern of northern hemisphere / southern hemisphere, east and west.
Timing for the convergences have been approximately every two years, but given that India’s IPC took place in November 2017. Because of covid-19 worldwide pandemic IPC14, originally planned to happen in 2020, will take place in Argentina in 2022. We are discussing longer time gaps between the IPC events. Proposed between the convergences would be active networking and content-based meetings amongst the global permaculture movement and its organizations with a strong focus on online participation. With a special sensitivity to make sure that all communities have equal access to the technology platforms needed, making sure it is affordable to all.
IPC aims :
- To improve access to permaculture.
- Use the IPC to make more people aware of permaculture.
- Use the IPC website to make it easy for people to connect to permaculture near them.
- To enhance collaboration within the permaculture network.
- Further develop our understanding of who is doing what, and how we can increase mutual support and action.
- To increase knowledge of the benefits of permaculture within society.
- Use the IPC to make more people aware of the benefits of permaculture, specifically about how it is used in particular contexts and countries.
- To develop permaculture theory and practice.
- Invite contributions from researchers and leading practitioners.
- Use the workshops to increase our knowledge and understanding.
- Collate workshops, papers and posters into a journal / website for wider dissemination to the permaculture network and beyond.
- To discuss urgent world problems and come up with permaculture solutions
- To strengthen the network in the host-country and region. At least one
- national Convergence should be hosted before the IPC.
- Host a PDC before the IPC event with local and foreign students and before or
- after the IPC a Teachers Training for all interested students. Invitation to
- offer Edge events.
- To ensure that there is participation from as many countries using
- permaculture as possible
- To ensure funding, sponsorship and good planning enable the convergence
- to be as affordable as possible to all participants.
- To make a financial surplus that can feed into the next IPC.
IPCC support :
- Preserve and communicate the IPC´s history. Create and monitor an IPCC-Master website
- Selection of the IPC-host
- Support and advice for hosts
- Promotion of IPC
- Selection of Delegates for Scholarships
- Decide on Interval of IPCs
1- Your motivation
Please describe why you want to host the next IPC, your vision, and the theme/topic for the event.
2- About the host organization
- What is the organizations name?
- What is the location of the organization?
- When was the organization established and how many members do you have?
- What are the vision, mission and objectives of the organization?
- What are the main activities and major achievements of the organization?
- What is your legal status?
- Please write your website link.
- Do you have a Facebook page? Please, write the link.
- Does your bank account require two signatories?
- How often do you produce financial reports?
- What is your capacity – number of staff / volunteers?
- Are you able to take online payments? (This can be supported if you do not)
- How prepared is your organization/farm to host an IPC at the moment?
- What experience do you have already in hosting large events, e.g., regional convergences?
- Are you able to organize a national or regional (neighboring countries) convergence if you are selected to become an IPC host? Please, describe this a little bit.
- How many people in your organization have been already at an IPC? Who and where/when?
3- Name of person(s) leading the proposal/key contact(s)
Please give the name, email address, phone number (and code) for the lead contact(s).
4- About the country and the climate
- Are there any potential technological restrictions? Will you be able to host online live-streaming for the IPC?
- Are there any significant travel challenges for attendees – visas, ease of access, safety? If possible please state which countries do not require a visa for your country.
- What is the main airport / train station?
- Tell us about the political climate in your country.
- In which season would the IPC take place according the climate situation in your country – please explain. Which special health care would be necessary for the stay in your country?
5- Proposal for how you will manage different elements of the IPC
Please tell us how you would manage the following aspects:
- Will you create your own website or would you like to use a general IPC-website? There is the idea to deliver the IPC-website from one convener to the other. If you are open to that idea, please let us know.
- Pre-IPC Permaculture Design Course. Should be a course for local and foreign students (different price levels, according the income of the country where the students are from). Organised and coordinated by the IPC host with local and international teachers (also from developing countries) .
- Two-days public Conference in a city near an airport or railway station, near hotels and other accommodation with all necessary facilities for a conference. How many participants would you like to host? You can also offer more options.
- Five-days Convergence for PDC holders or people with equal PC-education or PC-experience. How many participants do you want to host? Where do you want to hold the Convergence – describe the place(s) and the circumstance(s). You can offer more than one option:
- Requirements include one big meeting tent/room with roof that all participants can fit into for plenary sessions and morning circle, and several workshop/presentation rooms/tents with power and multimedia projectors.
- At least one room with internet connection.
- It is desirable to have some possibility for participants to charge phones/computers.
- Internet access and online participation.
- A children’s program is important.
- Open space area.
- Marketplace for information exchange.
- Program developed and speakers confirmed at least 3 months before the event.
- Working with Volunteers?
- Ability to provide accommodation options for elderly participants and people with disabilities and those who cannot sleep in a tent.
- Languages and Translation.
- Cultural programme and indigenous skills/crafts, cross cultural events.
- Food – how will you manage to cater for a large number of people in a short period of time, 3 times per day, and will you be able to offer organic food, mainly produced in the area?
- Tours and visits. Information needs to be offered when people start to buy their flight tickets. Farm tours, sightseeing tours, possibility for attendees also having a good time together in terms of travel, accommodation and evening events.
- Proposed dates for the IPC (any challenges in terms of weather events, health issues?)
- Pricing – keeping the IPC affordable without sacrificing quality.
- Reduced price offer for sponsored delegates from developing or emerging countries.
- Timeline – what is your basic plan for delivering the IPC – how will you use the years to prepare? Please supply as much detail as possible in your timeline.
- How will you provide the contact with IPCC? Will you have an office, an English speaking contact person, skype or zoom or google hangout conferences?
- How will you provide the contact with Friends of IPC for budget and fundraising purposes?
- Do you have contact to the political institutions in your government? Will you get support from the government or other organisations?
- How will you minimize the event’s negative environmental impact?
- How many people will you be able to send on your own to the Convergence in Argentina (2020) to do a presentation for your offer?
6- Anything else you want to tell us?
What to do after you have filled out the IPC application form:
Please send the completed application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You also need to attend the IPC in Argentina and be prepared to attend meetings of the IPCC during the event. You will be given an opportunity to make a presentation and will be asked to answer questions about your proposal. Please bring multiple printed copies to share (10 or more).
If your proposal is accepted you will receive written confirmation from the International Permaculture Convergence Council (IPCC). Your Application forms the basis for your role and responsibilities as an IPC host. Any clarification needed will be provided by the IPCC at that time.
You will then be supported by the International Permaculture Convergence Council (IPCC) to create budgets, themes and programs, and to help develop your plans and make the event a real success.
As soon as a host is elected, IPCC will ask more detailed questions and offer suggestions which have been collected as best practices from other IPC’s as support.
The IPC-host is responsible for the whole event, also in terms of the budget. The host needs to look for funding for the event themselves. IPCC will give their comments in terms of pricing for the participants. The host cannot rely on financial support through IPCC. If there is a surplus from the last IPC, this will be delivered to the host as a starting budget to assist until there is income from bookings.
Thank you for your efforts to support the International Permaculture Convergences.
The International Permaculture Convergence Council